Definition of Gantry
gan·try (gan′trē) noun
- (RocketTheme) A framework used for assembling, building and maintaining a RocketTheme theme
Overview of Gantry
Gantry is a sophisticated WordPress template framework with the sole intention of being the best platform to build a solid template with. Gantry takes all the lessons learned during the development of many RocketTheme templates and distills that knowledge into a single super-flexible framework that is easy to configure, simple to extend, and powerful enough to handle anything we want to throw at it.
The Gantry framework is packed with many great features that enable the rapid development of feature-rich designs with a minimum amount of effort. We’ve also gone to great lengths to enhance the standard WordPress administration user interface to make configuring a Gantry-powered template easier than ever before. Check out a sampling of the features Gantry brings to the table:
- 960 Grid System (http://960.gs) for simple consistent layout
- Cleaner more understandable index.php. All the complicated bits are handled for you in the Gantry core.
- Flexibility to configure up to 6 widgets in row position.
- 65 base widget positions in the Gantry core. These can be easily extended to add more
- 36 possible combinations for the layout of the mainbody/sidebars alone!
- Flexibility to configure different grid-size layouts based on number of published widgets. You are not forced to use the same grid layout for every page
- 12 built-in Gantry Features like Logo, font-sizer, to-top smooth slider. Easily create your own to add more functionality with little coding required.
- Ability to force widget display and ‘blank’ module positions for advanced module placement ability.
- Stunning new Admin interface providing better usability and control.
- Unique Layout controls allow you to configure your layout without having to do math or ever create a ‘broken’ layout.
- Layout controls provide visual representation of your front-end layout for simple and intuitive customization.
- Gantry is XML driven, adding another row of completely flexible module positions is as simple as editing one XML file.
- New flexible field system allows loading preset theme attributes and modifying for a custom design. Also support session and cookie level overriding for development.
- All new table-less HTML overrides
- RTL Support
- New standard typography and WordPress core elements styling
- New advanced caching system makes using Gantry really fast!
- Optimized codebase with speed, size, and reuse core tenants of the framework design
Overview of the Administrator Interface
The administrative interface for Gantry is one of, if not the, most extensive and intuitive WordPress administrators in the community as a whole today. Gantry takes the template parameter ability of WordPress and takes it to the next level with a robust, diverse, functional and overall, substantial array of options to control, essentially, all aspects of the template.
Below is an overview of the main areas: Presets, Content, Style, Gizmos, Layout, iPhone and Advanced.